Monday, September 7, 2009

Kate takes on California (Day one)

I know what you're thinking. Kate starts a new job, Kate stops blogging. Guys, it's not true! There is no doubt I've been busy. Learning a new job does take up time and energy. Add that to a couple of weddings and baby shoots, plus a trip to sunny CA and a bout of the stomach flu and there you have it. Bad blogging. Now I'm not making any promises. I have a bunch of things coming up pretty soon here. But I am going to give it a concerted effort to be better. In the mean time... here is a glimpse into my "work" trip to California.



My company is based out of Petaluma, CA, which ensures a trip through San Fran. I love this city, but since I was riding with others, I didn't really have a chance to do anything on my own. No worries. We at least stopped at a "scenic overlook"

Work Trip to CA

My 1st day of the sales meeting was tough. A plant tour in the morning, followed by long lunch and 3 hours of meetings afterwards (I know you're feeling my pain right now).

Now I realize I told you I wasn't going to mention the company I work for. The same holds true today, but if you figure it out from a picture or two I'll just think you're REALLY savvy.

The sales team (well, 1/2 of us)
Work Trip to CA


Mmmm, veggie burgers.

Work Trip to CA

The beginning of cheese enchiladas

Work Trip to CA

The amazing thing about this company is that so much is still done by hand.

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

The last thing I expected a plant to smell was pleasant. Today it smelled like the inside of a Mexican grandmothers kitchen. Not bad!

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA



There is a ham in every group

Work Trip to CA

Get this. They make their own tofu... by hand. We ate some right off the pressing block (this was the 1st delicious step towards me having a very full and bloated soy belly by the end of the week).

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

We didn't get to see any soup being made, but the set up looked pretty cool

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA


After our three long treacherous hours of meetings (you hate me, don't you? Hold on, it gets better) we headed off to a ranch about 10 minutes from downtown Petaluma.

Work Trip to CA

complete with pomegranate trees

Work Trip to CA

.. .and a fully equipped bakery

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA



... and scenes that look right out of an Anthropologie catalogue

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

... and chef preparing us produce purchased at the farmers market that morning

Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA

We stayed until dusk, filled to the brim and more content than ever before. Seriously this place was so incredibly beautiful. I'm thinking about getting our marriage annulled so we can get married all over again at this place. I can't even imagine what it would be like to live on the premises (three families have small cottages on the land, that are just as cute inside as they are out)


Work Trip to CA

Work Trip to CA


Up next: Beach day!

6 comments:

Amy P. said...

Wow, now I know how my work lunches are made! Wonderful pics, Kate.

De Nueva said...

What lens are you usually shooting with on these adventures?

Kate said...

Thanks Amy! It was really a neat experience and it's great to know how real the food actually is!

Kate said...

I'm using my 18-200. I'm looking to find an fx versatile zoom I can use when I don't feel like hauling the whole lot around with me. I only brought the 18-200 this time.

Lee said...

fantastic pictures and recap. so glad you're enjoying the new gig and starting to combine your interests!

Anonymous said...

Your adventures look amazing! I am so happy for you! Still missing you like crazy at work! Wow totally handmade! That really brings a smile to my face!
Happy Trails Kate....
Theresa Rose!