Sunday, May 10, 2009

Garden

Last week began gardening season at the Sommers household. We had picked up our "cool weather" plants from the Eastside Coop the week prior and hadn't really had a chance to get them in the ground until last Tuesday. Much of this had to do with work, but also the dread of dealing with the grass that keeps popping up in our garden bed.

Day one

If you look in the top left corner of the bed, that's all grass weeds. For some reason there are some tulips in the bottom right corner, that we're letting bloom at the moment. We'll move them somewhere after the blooms die.

I started "tilling" the land and ended up being outside for about 2.5 hours

Mostly tilled
Day one

The greenery in the right corner is catnip and chives. I've moved the catnip OUT of the bed and into a corner of the garden, since it act like a weed and I don't want it steal nutrition from my onions. I also repositioned the chives into the corner, since they come back every year and it's an easy place to remember.


Day one

We planted a TON of onions (50-60) leeks, broccoli, purple broccoli, brussels sprouts, celery, strawberries, kale, asparagus (we wont be able to harvest this until next year or the following) and a bunch of favas I started from seed. I've not been successful in my seed starting in years past, so I'm not overly optimistic about the favas.

Day one

We also have other plants popping up in our much neglected yard.

Day one

When we bought our house I saw this guy at its earliest stages and was shocked that we had succulents that were winter hardy in MN and I had never heard of sedum before. Fortunately I have "know it all" friends (shocking that I surround myself by like individuals, no?) that identified this for me. It is also gets huge and I didn't split it last year, so if you want some sedum at the end of the season, bring your shovel.

No comments: