Saturday, February 28, 2009

7-pepper salsa aka BB Salsa

About a month ago Marx foods was giving away some dried peppers to anyone who would utilize them (and blog about it!) so I jumped on it, and by the time was got back from vacation I had a little package of peppers waiting for me

BB Salsa

A work friend makes the most insanely good salsa, utilizing 5 types of peppers. I figured I would use her "recipe" (a handful of this, some of that) to try and recreate her fabulous salsa.

My 1st step was to go buy disposable rubber gloves. I wear contacts, and given this warning, I figured it was worth my time
BB Salsa

I had never heard of ghost peppers before, but apparently they are the hottest pepper in the world (according to both Marx foods AND wikipedia). Now, sometime in the past 8 or so years I have developed a deep fondness of spice, but the hottest in the world? Yes, I would be wearing gloves

BB Salsa


Of course if you want spice, you use habaneros too
BB Salsa

I'm not a huge fan of "chipotle" in general... I guess I think it's over used, and I only like smokiness on occasion, but I figured I should use one of every pepper I had, so in it went

chipotle

with a tad of garlic
BB Salsa

and some water
BB Salsa

In the meantime I deseeded and deveined my other peppers (I like spice, but I am still a gringa, so the seeds had to go)

BB Salsa

BB Salsa

BB Salsa

The dried peppers all came back from the dead and got their color back

BB Salsa

All the peppers went into the blender we got for our wedding. It's so very pretty and so under utilized (don't forget to deseed and devein the reconstituted peppers too)
BB Salsa


Add two tomatoes, quartered
BB Salsa

The juice of 3 limes
BB Salsa


And a good forkfull of jalepenos in brine
BB Salsa

Puree that bad boy!
BB Salsa

Mmmm. Bubbles
BB Salsa

Food art
BB Salsa

The grand finale!
BB Salsa

If you decide to make this, seriously limit yourself to about 1/4c at a time, otherwise your butt WILL burn (hence the name, BB Salsa)


Ingredients:


1 dried habanero
1 dried ghost pepper
1 dried chiptle pepper
2 anaheim chiles
5 jalapeno chiles
5 serrano chiles
2 slicer tomatoes
1/4 c. brined jalepenos
The juice of 3 limes
Ample salt
1 1/2 cups of water
3 cloves garlic

Place dried chiles in water with 2 gloves of crushed garlic, and one whole clove garlic. Boil until soft

Deseed and devein your 3 varietes of fresh chiles, and coarsely chop
Quarter your tomatoes

Throw everything in the blender

Blend until smooth, about 15 seconds

Enjoy, 1/4c a day. Apply to chips, eggs, soups, tacos, chili, anything you desire!

1 comment:

Olga said...

That looks really good!
I was also a lucky recipient of the peppers and made a few dishes using them.